How I Became A CPhT and Now A Manager

I don't know if I've mentioned this on here yet but I am a CPhT aka a registered pharmacy technician.  I never dreamed of being a tech but when people ask me how I got into the business I tell them it was a total accident.

It was 1998 and I had just quit working at Blockbuster.  I hated that job so much and wanted my next job to be something of worth.  I had been working since I was 15 and fast food, grocery store cashier, and a clerk at Blockbuster was what made up my resume.  I craved to find my passion with graduation and college looming in the horizon.

My boyfriend at the time was a delivery driver for a local pharmacy after school.  He only had to work until 7 and the pay and tips were decent enough.  By this time I was paying for a lot of my things and I definitely did not like the idea of being unemployed but I refused to get another whatever job.  I wanted to find something important and something that could work with my school schedule.

It was about 6pm one Tuesday night when my phone rings and its Boyfriend.

"Hey, what are you doing?"
"Nothing much"
"Want a job?"
"Are you serious?"
"Yes!  Can you be up at my job in a few minutes?"
"...I guess so...What would I be doing?"
"I have no idea but the owner and one of the girls got into a huge fight and we are super busy.  I need to be out on deliveries so can you come up here and answer phones?"
"Sure.  Give me a few minutes."

I remember driving up there not knowing what to expect and shaking as I got out of my car and approached the pharmacy.  By 7pm that night the owner offered me a job and I accepted.  It was perfect for a girl going to school and the pay was $3.00 more an hour than what I had been making at Blockbuster which was awesome!

Back then you didn't have to be licensed to be a pharmacy technician but over the years many of the laws have changed and in my state you not only have to be licensed through the national board (PTCB) but you also have to be licensed through the state.



I have been licensed, lost my license, and now am once again licensed.  If any of you are ever interested in getting into pharmacy let me give you a piece of advise-NEVER let your license lapse for ANY reason.  Keep it up because if you let it lapse and you try to reapply they make you feel like such a criminal.  Just thought I'd throw that in there. ;)

Let me just add that I have NEVER liked pharmacy.  Ever.  I won't go into all the details as to why that is but I will say one thing...it has saved me financially so many times in my life.  I've done every kind of pharmacy you can think of and now I work at a speciality pharmacy which a few weeks ago I had actually debated on quitting until my boss offered me a management position.  That is one thing that I have never had experience in and another awesome thing I can put on my resume but when I accepted the position I had NO idea how much added work I would be putting into it.

My schedule used to be 8-3 and then it was bumped to 8-5 and these past two weeks because we are short-handed I have been working 8-7 at least.  I am exhausted.  I am blessed to have the weekends off but I am usually so exhausted from the week that I spend the weekends playing catch up on sleep!

I've been released to go back to training but right now my question is when?  How do some of the women do it?  I mean, seriously?  I have young children.  I have a husband.  I have a house, a puppy, a FULL time job...where is there time to train?

That's actually my goal for tonight and tomorrow.  I MUST figure this out.  I've thought about getting up at 5am to train but last week I set my alarm and slept through it every single morning.  I am literally that exhausted.  After I get home its cooking dinner and spending time with my family.  After I put the boys to sleep I can hardly keep my eyes open so I usually go to sleep not too long after them.  Then I get up and do it all over again.  Something has to give but what?

Please if there is any woman out there that is able to do it all can you please help me.  I am sending an S.O.S. out there for real!

Sorry for this post being so long but I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I could get away with a long one. ;)

No comments

Thank you so much for stopping by! xo

Back to Top